About Us & History
Radnor Fire Company:
Continuing Our Tradition of Excellence
The Radnor Fire Company of Wayne was founded in 1906 by 24 local men who realized the community’s great need for organized fire protection.
That same year, our first president, W.W. Hearne, considered the increasingly popular automobile and wondered if Radnor Fire could buy a fire engine that utilized the same technology. When a committee of three volunteers - Charles Wilkins, Charles Clark, and Charles Stewart – discovered nothing like that existed, they drew up specifications and contracted with the Knox Company to build the first automotive fire truck in the United States.
The same commitment to service, excellence, and innovation continues to guides Radnor Fire Company today as we proudly provide fire, rescue, and emergency medical services, haz-mat response, life safety education and preparedness planning to the residents, businesses, and visitors of Radnor Township.
Radnor Fire & EMS At A Glance
- Radnor Fire Company of Wayne founded in 1906.
- Three RFC volunteers designed the first automotive fire truck in the United States that same year.
- Emergency Medical Services added in 1947.
- Medical call volume has tripled since the 1980s.
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) added in 2011.
- Coverage area includes all of Radnor Township, portions of Tredyffrin and Easttown townships, and about 8 miles of the Blue Route.
- Answered 864 fire calls and 2,376 medical calls in 2018.
- 50+ current volunteers and a growing need for more.
As members of the Radnor Fire Company, we uphold these values in ourselves and for the greatest benefit to our community
Utilizing our education, training, and knowledge in the delivery of services
Carrying out all actions with the highest moral and ethical standards
Demonstrating respect for the needs and expectations of those who call upon us
Effectively interacting with our internal staff and external stakeholders
Diversity & Inclusion
Recognizing differences and embracing them as assets